Project: AI in the Newsroom – Machine Learning for the Paywall of the F.A.Z.
- The aim of F.A.Z. was to obtain a data-based decision-making basis whether an article should rather be used for the paywall or as a free article for online advertising.
- jambit met the challenge with sophisticated natural language processing (NLP).
- jambit had to face a situation in which historical data was only available in a limited and unedited form. For further processing, jambit structured the data.
- Based on this historical data, jambit trained models using machine learning (ML).
- These models now predict different quality metrics, such as the number of subscriptions for new articles.
- An editor can now see from the recommendation in the CMS if the paywall for this article should be activated. It is calculated from the different quality metrics.
- Used AI methods: transfer learning, feature engineering and gradient boosting
- Used software technologies: BERT, PyTorch, scikit-learn, LightGBM, MLflow, Azure AutoML, Docker, Azure Functions
- The F.A.Z. won an AI solution that provides the editors with a data-based decision-making basis on paywall or free articles.
- The project achieved time and cost savings as well as quality due to an AI framework developed in-house by jambit https://github.com/jambit/sensAI. F.A.Z. benefited from know-how transfer from other jambit projects, for example in the automotive and Industry 4.0 sectors.
- AI experts, CMS developers and administrators from jambit worked directly together with an interdisciplinary team consisting of editorial staff, F.A.Z. Data Department and F.A.Z. Technical Project Management.
- Cost savings were also achieved through jambit's own GPU computing infrastructure and optimal embedding in the existing Azure Cloud ecosystem.
Are you looking for support with your digital transformation? Get in touch with us now!
* Mandatory field